work to complete- updated 30th March
Here are some suggestions for activities to do at home- don’t forget to email in pictures of your child to the class email address! We will focus on activities that cover different areas of development- if you don’t have time to do all of them, you pick one to focus on (:
Personal and social development-
- let your child help you share out food onto a plate so that everyone has something to eat, and then eat together
- Make a box of resources - paper, pens , glue, recyclable materials, scissors etc.- for your child to choose what they want to do and make
- Talk through jobs you are doing around the house, telling your child what you are doing and introducing new vocabulary by naming objects. e.g cooking, folding the washing, gardening etc.
- Play a Game with a ball where children have to follow instructions for example - roll the ball, kick the ball etc.
- Why don’t you try some Messy/sensory play to encourage speech. For example- water play, sand ,play dough, shaving foam , soil, bubbles. What can you do at home?
- Give the children choices at every opportunity and encourage them to answer eg. “Would you like ham or cheese on your sandwich? Would you like a banana or apple?”
- Go into the garden or on a walk and talk about the sounds you can hear
Self help and physical skills
- Encourage children to put on their own coat and shoes when going for a walk or out in the garden. You'll be surprised by how many children do this at school!!
- Let them help with preparing food and pouring drinks – a small amount, from a jug. This is something we do at school together.
- Practice using scissors safely but allowing them to cut play dough, jelly, paper, spaghetti etc.
- Make an obstacle course with boxes, chairs, blankets. Make them something to climb over, under, go through, up, down.
- Make a car park for your child's cars - number the parking bays and cars for matching- something like this example attached below. Why don't you try numbers 0-5?
OUR CATERPILLARS HAVE BEEN BUSY GROWING AND CHANGING- HAVE A LOOK AT THE PICTURES ATTCHED BELOW !