Work to Complete
Year 1 – Plants
During the summer term we learn about plants. On this page we have included some information, learning ideas and activities that you could do at home with your child.
What should children learn?
At school children would learn:
- To identify and name a variety of common wild and garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees.
- identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees.
Here are a list of information, activities and games that you could have a go at to help your child learn about plants. These are not the only things you can do while at home but a guide and suggestions.
- If you go out for exercise you could use some of the sheets below to identify some of the plants and trees you see. There are sheets to identify trees by their leaves, twigs or blossom. There is also a sheet with photos of common UK flowers.
- Children could design their own park or garden. They could decide the type of trees and plants they would have in different areas and label the different plants and trees.
- Children could draw a plant and label the different parts. You can use the one of the information sheets to help.
- Children could draw a tree and label the different parts. You can use the one of the information sheets to help.
- Research the difference between evergreen trees and deciduous trees. Can you spot any deciduous or evergreen trees.
- Children could design an alien plant with roots, leaves, a stem, a flower, petals etc.
Art and Craft ideas
- Make a drawing or sketch of a plant or flower you have at home or make a sketch/drawing of a leaf or twig you found when waking outside.
- Create a bouquet of flowers using scrap paper or other things you have around the house.
- Make a collage using leaves and twigs you have found.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zpxnyrd - learner guides
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/media/48350/blossom-and-catkin-id-sheet.pdf - identify tree by blossom
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/media/48347/twig-id-sheet.pdf - identify tree by twig
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/media/48345/leaf-id-sheet.pdf - Identify tree by twig