Getting Ready for Reception
Dear Ducklings Parents,
We are aware that these are strange times and unnerving for you and your children. We don’t know what the future holds but we are working hard behind the scenes to prepare your children for their next stage of their education.
Below are a few tips and links for you to read through:
What we will do for you and your children:
- Speak to all reception class teachers about your children, as they would normally visit us at Pre-School.
- Write end of year reports for parents and schools.
- PDF your child’s Tapestry Learning Journey over to you for you to keep.
Practical Tips Checklist:
- Putting on their own shoes and coat.
- Dressing themselves in their own school uniform and p.e kit.
- Toileting alone and wash hands?
- Being aware of their own property ie; lunch box/drink/school bag/clothing.
- Writing their name and recognising it.
- Help them use a knife and fork if accessing school dinners or to open pots/lids/packets etc if having packed lunch.
- Encourage them to hold a pencil/pen correctly.
- Practise how to use scissors correctly.
- Play games to ensure turn taking.
- Label everything
- Be positive when speaking about your child’s next stage of education.
The Pacey website has a ‘Starting School Together booklet’, a useful children’s reading book to buy called ‘Harry and the Dinosaurs go to School’ with supporting activities and a ‘Supporting School Readiness plan’.
These are all attached below for you to read at your own pace.
We miss all the children so much but are here for you all.